Create .NET 4 fork?

Developer
Oct 19, 2011 at 7:21 PM

So one of the guys here already checked out your code a year ago, completed IRegistry, RegistryWrap, IRegistryKey, RegistryWrap and used a couple other items, but didn't really use the rest of what you had.  And for what he did use, he had removed the word "wrap" in the Interfaces.

I am trying to merge what he did with what you did.

1. He had changed the name of "Wrap" to "Wrapper" and I changed his back to "Wrap"
  2. He had dropped "Wrap" from the interface name, which is why I submitted a change to your project to do the same.
  3. He had also upgraded to .NET 4 and our code is using a couple .NET 4 only items: RegistryView, RegistryOptions

At first I thought I would just recreate the enums but then of course I realized there were functions that were part of Microsoft.Win32.Registry that took the enums and I need to replicate those functions as well.

So I need to use .NET 4 and your project is .NET 3.5.

Would it be too obnoxious to create a branch that is .NET 4?

I am really big on contributing back and so I want to make sure this work I do goes back to you, but I don't want to interfere with those who need your project to be .NET 3.5.

Developer
Oct 31, 2011 at 6:05 AM

I realize you are extremely busy.

I want to contribute back...but I also don't want to be ignored even if the reason is extreme business.

I'll give you some more time to respond, but if I don't here back, maybe I will just start a systemwrapper4.codeplex.com version.

Oct 31, 2011 at 8:06 AM

You can make fork of https://github.com/asd-and-Rizzo/SystemWrapper after registring on git-hub.

Forks are ideal solution for such situations.

It already has  UnitWrappers.NET40.csproj.

Developer
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Thanks for making me a developer.

I am looking at creating the branch. I think it would be cleanest to move Everything in a SystemWrapper3.5 folder. Then branch to a SystemWrapper4 folder.

So that is what I am doing. Let me know if you have any concerns.

Developer
Oct 31, 2011 at 9:02 PM

Wait, I got an email making me a developer on systemwrapper.codeplex.com but asdandRizzo is mentioning git-hub.

I was doing the branching here at CodePlex.com using TFS.

asdandRizzo, is that just your copy on your own git-hub repo?

I think doing it here in CodePlex is the right place so there can be a .NET 3.5 branch and a .NET 4 branch (and soon when .NET 4.5 releases it may need a branch too).

Developer
Oct 31, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Ok...I have the branches checked in.

Let me know if there are issues.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I just tried this project for the first time. As i am working in .net 4 i took the SystemWrapper4.

I tried to build 'SystemWrapper' but found...

\SystemWrapper4\SystemWrapper\Security\AccessControl\RegistrySecurityWrap.cs' could not be opened
\SystemWrapper4\SystemWrapper\Microsoft.Win32\SafeHandles\SafeRegistryHandleWrap.cs' could not be opened

So i have worked around it by removing the classes that referernce these.

This workaround is fine for me, just wanted to mention it as the project files are referencing these files that do not exist.

Developer
Dec 9, 2011 at 7:14 PM

I didn't see your comment till today. I would have expected an email or something...I just checked in those files.